Food Philosopher’s® Gluten–Free
¾ cup vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar
¼ cup molasses
1 ¾ cups brown rice flour mix*
¼ cup sweet rice flour**
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ – ¾ teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon salt
Baking spray to grease cookie sheets
Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Beat shortening and sugar in large bowl of electric mixer until creamy.
- Beat in egg and molasses and mix until smooth.
- Add in remaining ingredients and mix to form soft dough.
- Form into flat square shape and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate
for 30 minutes.
- Spray cookie sheet with baking spray. Roll dough into one–inch balls.
Roll balls in confectioners' sugar and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 8 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool. Store
in airtight container.
Cook’s note: can be stored in refrigerator for 2 weeks or frozen
for up to 5 weeks. Uncooked dough will keep in freezer for 5 weeks.
*see "Gluten–Free Flour Mixes" in our Recipe
** available in natural food stores or online from Authentic
Foods (see "Gluten–Free Flour Mixes" in our Recipe Archive)
or other vendors.
© 2003 by Claudia Pillow and Annalise Roberts