Food Philosopher’s® Gluten–Free
CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1¾ cups brown rice flour mix*
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
½ cup canola oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1½ cups skim milk
2/3 cup of your favorite frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two 9–inch cake pans with
parchment or wax paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Melt chocolate in small heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring
constantly. Remove from heat and cool until lukewarm.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt,
and xanthan gum in medium bowl and set aside.
- Combine canola oil and milk together in liquid measuring cup.
Remove two tablespoons and discard. Set aside measuring cup.
- Beat sugar and eggs in large bowl of electric mixer at medium
speed until light and fluffy. Blend in melted chocolate and vanilla. Add dry
and wet ingredients in two additions at low speed, then mix at medium speed for
1 more minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Place in center of oven and
bake for 30–35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a layer
comes out clean. (Bake 35–40 minutes for 2 8–inch rounds).
- Cool layers in pans on a rack for 5 minutes. Using a small
knife, cut around pan sides to loosen layers. Invert layers onto rack. Peel off
parchment paper and cool completely.
- Place 1 cake layer on a platter. Spread 1 cup frosting over
top and sides. Place second layer on top. Spread remaining frosting over entire
*see “Gluten–Free Flour Mixes” in our Recipe
© 2002 by Claudia Pillow and Annalise Roberts