Food Philosopher’s® Gluten–Free
LEMON COCONUT POUND CAKE
WITH FRESH BERRIES
Makes a 9-inch bundt shaped cake*
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1½ cups brown rice flour mix**
2½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
1/3 cup Canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Position rack in center of oven. Spray a 9-inch bundt pan or Kugelhoph mold with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Beat eggs in large bowl of electric mixer at medium-high speed; gradually add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time and beat until light.
- Add flour mixture, yogurt, oil, and vanilla extract, lemon extract and lemon zest and beat at medium-low speed for 30 seconds. Stir in sweetened flaked coconut.
- Evenly spread batter into prepared pan. Place in center of oven and bake about 50 minutes (a toothpick inserted in the center of cake should come out clean). Do not open oven for first 45 minutes.
- Cool cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely on rack. Sift powdered sugar over top. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature with fresh berries on the side. Can be made a day ahead. Store cake covered tightly with plastic wrap in refrigerator. Pound Cake can be covered with plastic wrap and then with foil, and stored in freezer for up to three weeks. Best when eaten within four days of baking.
*Use a 9-inch (across the top) Kugelhoph crown shaped mold or a fluted ring mold that would hold 8 or 9 cups filled to the top rim. Do not use an 8x4" loaf pan or cake will be dense and heavy. Do not use a 9" tube pan or you will have a 1" high cake. You can use mini-loaf pans or mini-bundt pans, but you will need to adjust baking time.
**see "Gluten-Free Flour Mixes" in our Recipe Archive
© 2008 by Claudia Pillow and Annalise Roberts