Food Philosopher’s™ Gluten–Free
ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
Approximately 12 filled sandwiches
¾ cup sweet butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1½ cups brown rice flour mix*
½ cup sweet rice flour*
½ cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
Baking spray to grease cookie sheets
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease cookie sheet with baking spray.
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed in large bowl of electric mixer until well–blended. Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Add flours, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and xanthan gum, and mix until a soft dough is formed.
- To shape into a rectangular solid (for traditional shaped ice cream sandwiches), drop dough in a mound on large sheet of plastic wrap. Fold the plastic over the dough and shape into a long log 2½” high by 2½” wide by 6” long using plastic to flatten ends. Try to smooth dough with your fingers. Refrigerate roll until well–chilled. Unbaked dough can be kept in refrigerator for up to three days or frozen for up to two months. To freeze, wrap plastic–wrapped log of dough in foil.
- Using a thin, sharp knife, slice chilled dough into ¼ inch slices and place onto lightly greased cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Bake in center of oven for about 11–12 minutes until cooked through. (Cook 1–2 minutes extra for a crisper cookie). Cool slightly on cookie sheet and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut ice cream into squares 1” to 1½” thick. Place ice cream on one side of a cookie and cover with another cookie. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap and store in airtight container in freezer. Cookies and ice cream can also be kept separately and put together just before serving.
For round ice cream sandwiches, mound dough on plastic wrap, fold the plastic over the dough, and shape it into a round log 3” diameter by 6” long. Spoon ice cream onto one side of a cookie and cover with another cookie.
The edges of each ice cream sandwich can be dipped into tiny chocolate morsels, M&Ms, or other crushed candies for an extra added treat!
*see "Gluten–Free Flour Mixes" in our Recipe Archive
** Available in natural food stores or online from Authentic
Foods (see "Gluten–Free Flour Mixes" in our Recipe Archive)
or other vendors.
©2004 by Claudia Pillow and Annalise Roberts