Food Philosopher’s® Gluten–Free
KEY LIME TART
When using a 9–inch tart pan, double the filling. You may have slightly more than you need, but it makes a nice, thick tart.
1 cup brown rice flour mix*
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
5 tablespoons butter
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ cup Nellie & Joe’s Key West Lime Juice
(or other brand of Key Lime Juice if this is not available.
Regular lime juice is not the same)
3 egg yolks
14–oz.can sweetened, condensed milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat an 8 or 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray. (8–inch will yield a slightly thicker crust).
- Combine flour, xanthan gum, butter, and sugar in bowl of electric mixer (or food processor). Mix (or pulse) on low speed until crumbly. Press into bottom and up sides of tart pan about ¾ inch.
- Bake in center of oven about 22 minutes for 8 inch or about 20 minutes for 9-inch shell. Shell should be very light golden color. Cool on rack in pan.
- Combine lime juice and egg yolks in small saucepan. Cook over medium–low heat until thickened and liquid thickly coats back of wooden spoon. Stir constantly. Liquid should simmer but not boil. This should take about 5–6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sweetened, condensed milk. Pour filling into small bowl and press plastic wrap directly onto surface to prevent hardening. Refrigerate until cool. Pour into prebaked tart shell.
- Whip heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until stiff. Use pastry bag to pipe sweetened,heavy cream on top of cooled filling. Refrigerate until well–chilled.
*See ”Gluten–Free Flour Mixes“ in our Recipe Archive
© 2005 by Claudia Pillow and Annalise Roberts