Food Philosopher's® Gluten–Free Lady Fingers
WE REMEMBER EATING LADY FINGERS WITH WHIPPED CREAM AND FRESH
berries back when we were young. Realizing the gluten-free versions sold in stores lacked good texture and fresh flavor, we decided to make them ourselves. Our gluten-free Lady Fingers are light and spongy with just the right touch of vanilla. You can use them to make tiramisu and trifle, or serve them along side berries and whipped cream like our mother did. They are so delicious you might even be tempted to eat one by itself with a cup of tea.
Food Philosopher's® Gluten–Free
3 large eggs, separated at room temperature
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup brown rice flour mix*
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
*see “Gluten–Free Flour Mixes” in our Recipe Archive
- Preheat oven to 350°. Position two racks in upper and lower middle of oven. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper and spray very lightly with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the 3 egg whites in large bowl of electric mixer. Start mixer at medium speed and beat until whites are foamy. Gradually increase speed to high. Add ¼ cup of the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until sugar dissolves and whites form medium-soft peaks (make sure it is not too soft). Do not scrape bowl while beating. Set aside.
- Beat the 3 egg yolks and one large egg in large bowl of electric mix until think and lemon colored. Add remaining ½ cup sugar gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time and continue to beat until light. Add flour mixture, vanilla extract, and almond extract and mix until smooth. Batter will be thick.
- Fold ⅓ of the beaten egg whites into the batter to lighten it; gently fold in remaining egg whites. Use a pastry bag with a ½-inch smooth round opening at the tip. Fill the pastry bag with the batter and squeeze it onto the prepared baking sheet in 4-inch long finger shaped strips that are 1 inch apart. Put 10 in two rows so that you have 20 Lady Fingers on each cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 minutes and then quickly switch the baking sheets around in the oven; bake another 5 to 7 minutes until the Lady Fingers are lightly-browned. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and put the parchment paper (with the Lady Fingers still on it) onto a counter. When the cookies are completely cool, remove them with a spatula. If desired, sprinkle with additional confectioner's sugar before serving.
Can be made a day ahead. Store in tightly sealed container for 2 days at room temperature or up to 2 weeks in the freezer. Best when eaten within two days of baking.
©2011 by Claudia Pillow and Annalise Roberts