Food Philosopher’s® Gluten–Free
PUMPKIN BREAD OR MUFFINS
Makes 12 muffins
Or three 5 x 3 inch loaves
1¾ cups brown rice flour mix*
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
¼ cup water
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons Canola oil
2 tablespoons molasses
1 cup pumpkin purée
*see “Gluten–Free Flour Mixes” in our Recipe Archive
Preheat oven to 350°F. Position rack in center of oven. Spray three 5 x 3 inch loaf pans or muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves together in a large mixing bowl of electric mixer.
- Combine eggs, water, oil, molasses and pumpkin in a separate bowl. Whisk to blend.
- Pour the wet ingredients into dry and mix until well blended. Do not over beat.
- Pour batter evenly into pans and bake 45-55 minutes for loaf pans and about 20-25 minutes for muffins or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool bread for 8 minutes and then remove from pan. (Remove muffins from pan immediately). Cool completely on rack before serving or wrapping for storage. Easiest to slice when chilled.
Store bread covered tightly with plastic wrap in refrigerator for up to five days. Muffins can be stored in a tightly sealed plastic container. Pumpkin Bread or Muffins can be covered with plastic wrap and then with foil, and stored in freezer for up to six weeks. Best when eaten within four days of baking.
© 2006 by Claudia Pillow and Annalise Roberts